Thursday, November 1, 2007

Redmond Developer News: AIR Gaining Ground

The title sounds a bit nicer than the article actually is. Though I must admit, you know you've got something good when the journal 'powering the Windows software revolution' actually mentions you.

Of course, Adobe is 'trying to catch up to Silverlight.' How many times do I have to remind these people that Silverlight is trying to catch up with Flash!

And Mr. Desmond, AIR is not just an extension of Flash Player for desktop applications. It's a full runtime that also allows you to use JavaScript/HTML (and of course AJAX), as well as Flash and PDF content. Plus, you can mix these together. Want to put a Flash filter on some text via JavaScript? Easily done!

However, my favorite part is the idea that people have to "buy into Flash" to use AIR. Again, not so. But what can be expected from an analyst from Directions on Microsoft?

I mean, come on! Try doing some research before you go and blast Adobe. I don't care how much you like Silverlight. I just can't see it passing Flash in terms of market penetration, which is over 99.1%. Yeah, 99.1% of Internet connected computers on Windows, Mac, Linux and others have Flash. And the only holdouts are people like you and Microsoft fanboys. Oh, and people who still have DOS or Windows 3.11 (but they shouldn't count).

And don't even think about preinstalling Silverlight with Vista SP1, Steve. I'll have the EU and US Government at your door instantaneously. Oh, wait... they're already there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I never consider what the Eurotrash and sharks are gonna do into the equation! My people can handle them, I just do what I have to.

Unknown said...

I never consider what the Eurotrash and sharks are gonna do into the equation! My people can handle them, I just do what I have to.